Thursday, November 15, 2007

Film in the Rough

The article we read was pretty spot on I believe. I've actually read another book by the same author called "The Empty Space". I have a associates degree in theatre so comparing theatre and film is one of my favorite things. My favorite kind of theatre is done in found spaces. With limited sets and props. I love the idea that its up to the audience to participate, they are not handed everything. The article is about exactly that. In film, when you do experimental, there is a differnt expierance than in traditional. The audience is forced to particpate. Sometimes the stock is gritty, sometimes the message doesn't make sense, sometimes there is no message. I love rough films, they remind us that we're watching a performance. They remind us that film is an art not a window. I've not been experimental films biggest fan but I see its importance. Its also nice that anyone can make a movie. You don't need a Hollywood set and a million dollar budget. Film in the rough allows all of us to be filmmakers. As a piss poor filmmaker, thats exciting.

No comments: