Thursday, September 27, 2007

Developing Film

This week we worked with exposing film to light. This was really fun. We put salt, marbles, and all sorts of little things on film in order to create a negative. We then developed the film by ourselves in two methods. The first was traditional developer. I felt like I was really an experimental filmmaker. I was making something and seeing it through from creation to developement. The second was just plain cool. We used coffee and vitamin C to develope film. It worked alright but for sheer creativety, i think it was the cooler way to develpe the film. I have to say that this class is really pushing me creatively. Even though this isn't narrative I am finding ways to create the image I want. I can't go anywhere now without looking at things and thinking "what would it be like if I put this on film?" or "what could I do with this?". This week I've brought alot of stuff I think will created interesting effects on film. I tried my hardest to find something translucent that would create something interesting, I couldn't find much. I was shopping and found stencils, which I think will be really cool because actual shapes will appear on the film. I bought some fake plume feathers which I also think will be intersting because the spaces between the strands of feather will make an image appear very clear (I may be wrong but this class is all about finding what works and what doesn't). Hopefully my group has brought some other things that will make this a truly unique project.

No comments: